This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

what diagram tool do you use to create those guides?

Jan 28, 2010 at 10:46 PM

Hi,

The information presented in those guides is tremendous. In particular, I find the diagrams extremely expressive. They do make the whole complicated branching strategy much clearer.

I was just wondering what tool was the team using to create those diagrams. I am guessing it's Visio. If it is, I would be very interested in the original diagrams or the stencils so I could create clean diagrams like yours to explain our branching strategy to our team (and management).

Thanks again for the guides and for any feedback.

Regards,

Eric.

Developer
Jan 28, 2010 at 11:42 PM

Eric,

Thanks for the positive feedback. These diagrams were drawn in PowerPoint and should be fairly easy to create with simple lines and shapes.

For example, on a blank slide, draw an arrow (left-to-right). Choose the style of arrow you prefer. Apply a quick style with the desired color to the arrow (in our case, I think we use the "intense").

Do the same for simple shapes such as ovals, circles, or hexagons. I find it easy to get one shape the correct size and then copy and paste or copy and drag to other places on the diagram.

Thanks go to Willy-Peter Schaub for his fantastic diagrams and posters!!!

Regards,
Bill Heys
VS Ranger

Jan 29, 2010 at 2:31 PM

Bill,

Thanks for your quick reply. We are implementing one of the strategies, though without TFS (SVN). I will be glad to provide feedback in a few months after 1 or 2 releases.

Regards,

Eric.

Developer
Jan 29, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Eric,

I will very interested in your feedback. Feel free to post additional questions here.
While technically we wrote the guide for TFS 2008 and 2010, we are finding many people finding the guidance for non TFS SCM (such as SVN).
It will be interesting to learn of your experience.

Regards,
Bill Heys
VS Ranger

Feb 17, 2010 at 12:53 AM

Bill,

Just realized you guys had posted the diagrams out there. You guys rock. And I need to learn to search before I ask questions ;)

Regards,

Eric.