This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

MergeMagician can streamline your merge workflow

Jun 7, 2011 at 7:05 AM

My company, Timinpani Software, has just released our new product, MergeMagician (http://www.mergemagician.com).  MergeMagician can be used to automate and manage all of the patterns discussed in this document.

MergeMagician is a process management solution that is specifically designed to make it easier to manage branches, and to automate the merge workflow between branches.  You connect your branches together using publisher/subscriber relationships.  The MergeMagician service then monitors your branches and repositories, and based on your connection rules, automatically instantiates merges between branches.  Merge frequency is highly configurable; publishers and subscribers can each be of three types: continuous, scheduled, or externally triggered.  Externally triggered is useful for either a person issuing the publish or subscribe event, or it is also useful when integrating MergeMagician with a build server.  In the latter case, one can configure multi-stage continuous integration processes by pushing events back and forth between MergeMagician and your build server.

Another part of the secret sauce for MergeMagician is the suspend/resume paradigm, and the web-based conflict resolution interface.  This lets anyone on the team participate in the resolution process when merges become conflicted.

Another way to look at it is that MergeMagician adds a form a streams-based development to TFS (stream, as in the AccuRev sense of streams ... changes from one branch can flow to other branches), except the MergeMagician publish/subscribe paradigm allows a lot more flexibility in how you connect branches together.

Please give it a look at let me know what you think.  http://www.mergemagician.com

Thanks.

- Kevin Dietz

Jun 7, 2011 at 7:55 PM

Hmm... The initial discussion post to this thread is close to a third party product advertisement. However the product is directly related to branching (and merging) which is fair game. As long as honest comments (good or bad) regarding MergeMagician I personally feel this is fair game. (That said I'm not a moderator and I don't know the policy details.)

BETTER Topic name: What merge automation tools are available?

I'm intereseted in the overall functionality described, but I can't review this product now due to several higher priorities. Sorry. Hopefully next poster will have some time and interest in sharing their independent thoughts.

Enjoy! -Zephan

Developer
Jun 7, 2011 at 8:24 PM

Zephan,

I agree that Kevin's post is advertising his product, Merge Magician. However, I will leave the post and let others decide whether they want to invest in his tools.

Bill Heys
VS ALM Ranger