This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Hotfix release

Apr 29, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Hello everybody

I've a question about how to release an hotfix package:

Suppose my tfs branch is MAIN --> (V 1.0)  Service Pack  --> Hotfix --> RTM  

--> (V 2.0)  Service Pack  --> Hotfix --> RTM  

Customer1 signal a bug in Assembly1.dll    and Customer2 signal a bug in Assembly2.dll and so on...  

My objective is to send only the fixed dll's

1) if i want to send a cumulative patch installer to all other customers containing only the changed dll's how can i find thats automatically ?

2) which is the difference to send a cumulative patch rather than a ServicePack ?

Thanks

Paolo

Apr 29, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Paolo,

With respect to hotfixes, the general recommendation is, as you suggest, to send only the changed DLL(s) to a customer that fix THAT customer's problem. Hotfixes are sometimes called Quick Fix Engineering (QFEs). Generally a hotfix is not as exhaustively tested as a full release or Service Pack. For this reason most customers are advised not to install a specific hotfix unless they believe it is a fix to a problem they are experiencing.

In my view a Service Pack is the vehicle that creates a cumulative patch. You might combine several individual hotfixes into a Service Pack. Service Packs SHOULD be thoroughly tested (similar to a full release) since they will have broad distribution. I would NOT send a cumulutive patch containing several hotfixes UNLESS it undergoes rigorous testing.

Regards,

Bill Heys
VS ALM Ranger

Apr 29, 2010 at 4:02 PM

Thanks Bill

I'll follow your suggestion, i'll send only the changed DLL(s) to a customer that fix THAT customer's problem, but 2 question again :)

1) if i need (for any reason) to send to a customer a fully tested service pack  there is a way to get only the changed DLLs  from the branch or  there is a best method to do this ?

2) if i fix a problem to  myAssembly1.dll  a time T - 1    for customer1 and i fix another assembly myAssembly2.dll  a time T for customer2  i have

Customer1 with  a new myAssembly1.dll and old myAssembly2.dll

Customer2 with  a old myAssembly1.dll and new myAssembly2.dll

how can i be sure that changes made in myAssembly2.dll  don't use the fix made in myAssembly1.dll ?  do you think it's my risk?

Thanks alot again for any suggestion

Paolo