This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Branch Solution name

Mar 3, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Hi there,

Thanks for the great description of using branches. Before this guide I had heard of branches but never really understood how to use them properly.

I do however have a question regarding the solution names. When I branch my Main to a Development branch, its solution name will be the same as the solution name in the Main branch. 

This is what my recent projects looks like after creating a main branch and two development branches... you can see how this can get confusing.

I've tried renaming the solution in the development branches, but a solution rename will propagate to the other branches when they are merged.

I was wondering how the rest of you solve this particular issue.

Thanks in advance.

Mar 3, 2010 at 7:55 PM

I think you will have to navigate in a different way.

You would start by connecting to a Team Project within TFS. Presumably you would already have a workspace mapped to the various branches you are using.

From Source Control Explorer (SCE) you would navigate to the Branch/Folder for the specific solution you want to open. You should be able to see in SCE which solution is opened up in Solution Explorer.

You are right that the Recent Projects list is pretty useless at this point. You are also correct that renaming solutions (by branch) is not viable.

Regards,
Bill Heys
VS ALM Ranger

Mar 3, 2010 at 8:10 PM

Hmm.. I never really thought of it that way. I knew you could open a project directly from the Source Control Explorer, but I've just gotten so used to the Recent Projects window that I didn't even occur to me to do it that way.

Thanks for the quick reply!